Adverse wind conditions postpone kitesurfing race from Rottnest Island to Leighton Beach
Adverse wind conditions forecast for the Red Bull Lighthouse to Leighton kitesurfing race on Saturday 3 December have forced organisers to postpone the event.
Event Director Tim Turner said safety of the 100 competitors was paramount. 'Reports from the Bureau of Meteorology show a significant low pressure system prevailing on the weekend which will bring inconsistent winds from varying directions. 'Our organising committee, which includes Royal Life Saving and the WA Kite Surfing Association, could not risk the wind dropping mid-race or forcing competitors well off-course,' he said. 'Our objective is to run the race only if we receive favourable winds and if it is safe for all competitors. 'Typically at this time of year we experience consistent and strong south west winds that are just perfect for kiting fast and safely from Rottnest to Leighton,' he said. The Race will be postponed until Sunday 18 December 2011, subject to approvals, and details will be available in coming days. This is the first available time the waters between Rottnest Island and Leighton Beach will be available (after the ISAF Perth 2011 Sailing World Championships). Event organisers urge spectators to keep an eye on the website at
www.lighthouse2leighton.com.au to come along and cheer in the competitors at the rescheduled race.
This is the second Red Bull Lighthouse to Leighton 19km race across Gage Roads from Rottnest Island to Leighton Beach. Last year's race was won in just 24 minutes with the winner travelling at approximately 50km/h.
For more information visit www.lighthouse2leighton.com.au.
Rottnest to Leighton Beach Kitesurf Race POSTPONED
Kitesurfing Test - Boards 2013
Kitesurfing Test - Kites 2013
Airush Varial-X 9 & 6M
Kitesurfing travel directory